The seminar is aimed at Azure developers and software architects who want to get an overview of the core elements of developing and deploying cloud-native applications in Microsoft Azure. In addition to the theoretical parts of the individual modules, we modernize an app consisting of a classic monolith with UI into a cloud-native app with microservices (catalog, state, payment, delivery, purchasing) and micro frontends. We place value on the use of best practices and cloud design patterns, as well as their representation with software architecture diagrams. We teach container essentials and concepts such as stateful containers or sidecar patterns and discuss possible refactorings in terms of deployment in Kubernetes-based Azure container apps, covering topics such as secrets, revisions, config injection, health checks, Kubernetes event-driven auto-scaling - KEDA. Following the principle of domain-driven design, we convey the advantages of NoSQL databases and accompany you on your way from relational DB design to Cosmos DB NoSQL API. We also cover topics such as change feed, event sourcing, and CQRS. We teach the basics of event-driven applications, their transaction patterns, which we implement using saga pattern and connect the individual services using distributed application runtime (Dapr). We use durable functions to implement microservices that can be hosted either serverless or as containers. In particular, we focus on topics such as durable entities, durable monitoring, and durable saga pattern. Last but not least, we publish and secure the app and its microservices with API management and application gateway to keep our reactive Angular UI with client-side state up-to-date in real-time using Azure Web PubSub. Authentication is present in all phases.
Who should attend
Azure Developers & Software Architects
Course participants who want to successfully complete the labs should have acquired knowledge and experience of the knowledge taught in. Topics marked with RECAP are brief summaries of AZ-204 content as refreshers. DevSecOps relevant topics are covered in a separate course.
- Introduction to Cloud Native Applications
- Recap: Building Blocks & Architecture Overview
- Container Essentials: Optimizing Services & Front Ends
- Schemaless and Event Optimized Data storage using Cosmos DB
- Implementing Microservices using Durable Azure Functions
- Introduction to Azure Container Apps (ACA) and Kubernetes Event-Driven Autoscaling (KEDA)
- Designing & Implementing Event Driven Apps
- Connecting Microservices using Distributed Application Runtime - Dapr
- Optimizing and Securing API Access using Api Management
- Implementing Reactive Micro Frontends using Azure Web PubSub